Whether you’re in the garden enjoying a day off, or in your workplace lifting equipment, bees, wasps, and hornets can be found anywhere around you. These insects are found more abundantly in warmer months, so it is important to take the necessary precautions to avoid a painful sting – including: the correct PPE, cleanliness, and courage to remain calm!
Employers should train staff effectively, including information about what to do if stung, how to prevent exposure, and insect identification.
Here are some safety tips:
– Bees, wasps, and hornets can sting when they feel threatened, so it’s important to avoid disturbing their nests or swarms.
– If you see a bee or wasp flying around you, stay calm and avoid swatting at it, as this can make them more aggressive.
– Bees are typically less aggressive than wasps or hornets, but they will sting if they feel threatened.
– Wasps and hornets can be more aggressive, especially when their nest is disturbed.
– If you are allergic to bee, wasp, or hornet stings, make sure to carry an epinephrine auto-injector (such as an EpiPen) with you at all times.
– To reduce the risk of being stung, avoid wearing brightly colored or floral-patterned clothing, as this can attract bees and wasps.
– If you are eating outside, keep food and drinks covered to avoid attracting bees and wasps.
– If you find a bee, wasp, or hornet nest on your property, do not attempt to remove it yourself. Instead, contact a professional pest control service.
– If you do get stung, remove the stinger as quickly as possible by scraping it out with a flat object like a credit card. Clean the area with soap and water, and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. If you experience severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face or throat, seek medical attention immediately.
iProtectU provides work environment inspection forms and allows a user to create, edit and document a risk assessment covering working where there are hazardous insects in the vicinity.
iProtectU brings together the key resources and knowledge of three companies specialising in EHS software development, health and safety, business intelligence and data analytics.
Our vision is to provide fully integrated, cost effective and simple to use health and safety software tools that enable our clients to engage their entire team.
Arrange your demonstration
Let us show you how we can transform your compliance management
Choose a date and time for your demo (no obligation) and we will be in touch.
Your feet and hands are two of the most important parts of your body. They allow you to move around, complete activities, and interact with